The North Shore Harmonizers
The North Shore Harmonizers is one of the longest standing traditions of the North Shore. Founded at the Wilmette Women's Club over 60 years ago by Evelyn Frisby, the Harmonizers have, over the years, been affiliated with the Wilmette Park District and are now an independent Women's a cappella Barbershop Chorus. We sing for fun, civic functions and for charity.
In the same year as our founding in 1952, the Harmonizers were invited by the Wilmette Park District to host a Barbershop Harmony Festival Night at the Wilmette Bowl's Starlight Theatre, and we continued to be a part of this tradition for 50 years.
In addition to producing our own shows, highlights of the Harmonizers include being featured at the Chicago Civic Opera House; performing at Chicago World Garden Shows; appearing at Ravinia; performing at the State of Illinois Building downtown Chicago; appearing several times a year at various historic and civic festivals in Long Grove, Illinois; caroling at Christmas time; and performing at many nursing and retirement homes throughout the years.
We love to sing and to bring joy to other people through our songs. Barbershop harmony has now evolved to the point that more contemporary songs are regularly included in the barbershop repertoire, and the Harmonizers make a point of singing old standards along with contemporary music to please our audiences.
Our current director, Alice Lane, has been our leader and inspiration since 1991. Prior to 1991 our directors included: Bob Haeger, Earl Baumgarten, Dick Savane, Tom McCracken, Dan Ryan, Dick Gallagher and Frank Fabian.